Article 4: Always play it safe outdoors
Whenever your summer plans include outdoor activities – such as barbecues, pool parties, backyard projects or road trips – keep a few basic safety tips in mind to avoid harm and prevent power outages and fires.
Watch out for overhead electric lines
- Never approach or touch electric lines. A shock could cause severe injury or death.
- Never fly kites, metallic or Mylar balloons, drones or remote-controlled planes near electric lines.
- Dispose of balloons indoors and puncture them in several places so they can’t get caught in electric wires.
- Call SDG&E® at 1-800-411-7343 to remove anything caught in electric lines.
Beware of fallen or broken power lines
• Never approach or touch a fallen power line or a person or vehicle in contact with the line.
• Always assume a downed line is live.
• Report downed power lines immediately by calling 911.
If an electric line touches your vehicle while you are inside, remain calm and stay inside your vehicle until emergency help arrives. Warn others to stay away and direct them to call SDG&E. Do not touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time.
Get more safety tips atsdge.com/safety.