Environmental Technician II
Announcement: August 26, 2019
Closes: When position is filled
Salary Range: $15 – 20/hr (per qualifications)
Benefits: Competitive package
GENERAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Working under the direction of the Tribal Environmental Programs Manager, the Environmental Tech II is responsible for assisting the La Posta Environmental Department in the creation and implementation of strategies and programs to protect the quality of environmental resources of the La Posta Indian Reservation. This position will focus on protection of the quality of the Tribe’s water resources, but will also be involved in the protection of the Tribe’s air and land resources, and environmental health, as well as waste management, resource conservation, energy and climate change planning. The Environmental Tech II will maintain professional conduct at all times, will be sensitive to the needs of the Tribal community, their culture and traditions, and will keep confidential the privileged information of the La Posta Band of Mission Indians.
- Maintain current knowledge and understanding of federal Clean Water Act, EPA water quality regulations, and Tribal/federal policies that may affect water resource management on the La Posta Reservation.
- Become familiar with the Tribe’s water quality testing equipment, Standard Operating Procedures, and Tribal Water Quality Assurance Project Plan (QAPP). Maintain monitoring equipment and schedule, to assure performance of water quality sample collection and assessment in accordance with Tribal QAPP.
- Maintain Tribal water quality database. Prepare water quality reports for the Tribe and EPA as requested and required, utilizing USEPA Storet/equivalent, WQX, GIS and various data assessment methodologies.
- Keep the Tribe informed of the quality of water resources and status of water quality protection efforts on the Reservation, including regular reports to leadership and outreach to the Community.
- Assist in the development and implementation of Tribal environmental quality protection programs and policies, including field inventories/assessments of tribal resources and inspection of activities on and off Tribal land, as directed by Tribal management.
- Track program activities and commitments, and prepare program/progress reports, as directed.
- Attend meetings and trainings relevant to La Posta Environmental Protection, and participate in inter-agency efforts to protect Tribal resources, as directed by management.
Perform other duties as assigned by Tribal Management
1. Four-year college degree in Environmental Science, Natural Resources, or related Scientific Field, or Four years of work experience involving Clean Water Act monitoring/data assessment.
2. Significant experience using Excel, database systems, GIS software, Microsoft Office, Publisher and PowerPoint, and producing maps in ArcGIS.
3. Strong written and verbal communication ability, and proficiency in organizing data, writing plans and reports.
4. Self-motivated, able to work independently and to work well with others.
5. Able to lift up to 50 lbs. and to work in incumbent weather.
6. Able to travel for work; Must have a valid driver’s license with no more than 5 MVR points, and must be insurable as determined by the SIR insurance provider.
7. Must be able to pass pre-employment drug screening exam, and must pass criminal background investigation and meet the minimum standards of character as established by P.L. 101-630.
8. Must be able to relate to Native Americans and work effectively with Tribal leaders, staff, government agencies and the public.
SALARY: $15 – 20/hr (Based upon qualifications)
The Environmental Technician II position is a full-time, Tribal preference/Indian preference position under applicable Federal and Tribal laws.
La Posta is committed to achieving full equal opportunity without discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, national origin, politics, marital status, physical disability, age or sexual orientation.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to send their resume to: Mr. Eric La Chappa at email@example.com and cc: Aturcotte@lptribe.net.
Leave a Reply