(25 hour per week, Potential full time)
Assist with general accounting and clerical duties related to the efficient maintenance and processing of account transactions, grant financial administration, and payroll
Reports to: Tribal Administrator
Pay Rate: $14.00 – $17.00 DOE (Potential full time)
Closing: October 25th, 2019
Position Description: Assistant Bookkeeper
Basic Function: The assistant bookkeeper position will entail all accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll. Creates transactions and generates reports from that information. The creation of financial transactions includes posting information to accounting journals or accounting software from such source documents as invoices to cash receipts, and supplier invoices. The assistant bookkeeper also reconciles accounts to ensure their accuracy.
- Purchase supplies and equipment as authorized by management
- Tag and monitor fixed assets
- Pay supplier invoices in a timely manner
- Pay any debts as it comes due for payment as approved by management
- Post grant expenses and income as approved by management
- Monitor grant expenditures for compliance
- Process bi-monthly payroll including government reports in a timely manner
- Make bank deposits as needed
- Conduct a bi-monthly reconciliation of every bank account
- Conduct quarterly reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy
- Issue financial statements upon request
- Provide information to the external accountant who creates the company’s financial statements
- Will assist accountant in compiling information for external auditor
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Assist with creating and maintaining the annual budgets
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements
- Provide clerical and administrative support to management as requested
- Assists with booking travel, prepare per-diem and other travel related function’s
- Prepare billing invoices for Tribal members
- All other duties assigned
The assistant bookkeeper candidate should have an associate degree in accounting or bookkeeping, or equivalent business experience, as well as bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles. Preference will be given to candidates with a working knowledge of grants, government and Tribal funding sources. Should be very detail oriented and work well in highly stressful situations. Having a working knowledge of QuickBooks or MIP is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear.
The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The La Posta Band of Mission Indians is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934 (Title 25, USC, Section 472). If you’re claiming Indian Preference, you must submit Form BIA 4432 Verification of Indian Preference with your application. La Posta will recruit from among the members of the Tribe or family members of the Tribe. Applicants not entitled to Indian Preference will receive consideration without discrimination based on age, sex, disability, or national origin. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Please Submit Resume, Cover Letter, and References to:
James Hill, Tribal Administrator
La Posta Band of Mission Indians
Fax: (619) 478-2125